Sussex snub as Dutch King will NOT roll out red carpet for Prince Harry and Meghan Markle

Date:

Share post:

[ad_1]

Dutch royals, King Willem-Alexander and the monarch’s aunt, Princess Margriet, will attend the seven-day Invictus Games for injured servicemen in the Hague. A spokesperson for the Dutch royals confirmed: “King Willem-Alexander and Princess Margriet will attend the Invictus Games. The Princess will be present at the opening ceremony on April 16th, the King at the closing ceremony on April 22nd.”

Princess Margriet has previously attended the event, and is the Honorary Chair of the Dutch Invictus Games.

But the Dutch royals confirmed that, although Prince Harry is a patron of the Games hosted in the Netherlands, neither he nor his wife, Meghan, will be hosted by royalty.

The Duke and Duchess of Sussex, who stepped back from royal duties and renounced their HRH titles, will “not be given an audience with Netherlands King Willem-Alexander or be offered a room in the royal palace”, the Daily Mail reported.

But the issue of the couple’s security arrangements is still not fully known, and Dutch authorities have stipulated that any close protection officers brought to the event by the Duke and Duchess cannot be armed, according to the Sun.

Anna Sophia Posthumus, a police spokeswoman, said: “In the Netherlands, only government officials (police, military personnel etc) are allowed to carry weapons”.

This would exclude private guards, like those employed by Meghan and Harry.

Dutch royal biographer and assistant editor at Royal Central, Moniek Bloks, raised the possibility that the Duke and Duchess had hoped to “hitch a ride” on armed security, given the attendance of the Queen’s relative, King Willem-Alexander.

She said: “Since members of the Dutch royal family will be attending both the opening and closing ceremony, they might be able to “hitch a ride” with them on those days.”

READ MORE: Expert pinpoints ‘real reason’ for Harry snub

He has offered to foot the bill for the protection himself.

The decision to travel to the continent rather than the UK prompted a wave of backlash against the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, who are yet to introduce youngest child Lilibet to most of the Royal Family in the UK.

Dai Davies, ex-head of royal protection for Scotland Yard, said the UK would be “far safer than most other places” for the Duke.

On Harry’s trip to the Netherlands, he commented: “The truth is I have no doubt that he will be protected, whether he takes his own team or whether the Dutch authorities give him some kind of VIP status.

“The truth is if there’s a risk both countries – ours and the Netherlands – have sophisticated systems of determining risk.

“This country has determined he is no longer at risk.

“That may or may not be true, but people far better qualified than I am now can make that decision and they never make it lightly.

A spokesperson for the Duke and Duchess confirmed on Monday that Meghan would attend the event in the Hague for the first few days of the Games.

It will be Meghan’s first trip to Europe since renouncing senior royal duties in March 2020.



[ad_2]

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

spot_img

Related articles

Selena Gomez, 30, says ‘I’m a little big’ as she hits back at Golden Globe outfit trolls

Selena, 30, hit back at online trolls who wrote nasty comments about her weight, despite oozing confidence...

Dancing On Ice’s Ekin-Su details ‘supportive’ gestures from partner Davide

“It's great, I’m happy I’m doing it, no regrets at all, see you later to the curse!”Ekin...

Kate wore stunning full length gown with a trendy twist – shows off her enviable legs

The royal turned heads in a silver chain with lots of geometric shapes attached to it, and...

Nick Kyrgios risks trouble with Aussie police after scooter ride before Australian Open

Nick Kyrgios could find himself in hot water ahead of the Australian Open after he was pictured riding an e-scooter...